Responsible for negotiation and fixing spot cargoes on various
routes and allocating contract cargoes to assigned ships to
maximize the vessels financial results within the prevailing market
- Market tonnage to customers/shippers/charterers.
- Negotiate spot/time charters to achieve maximum income for the
- Be aware of the positions and desired strategic directions for
each ship assigned.
- Coordinate the allocation of spot and contract cargo to the
ship assigned to the specific service.
- Set up and negotiate deals, including presenting the business
to potential clients, negotiating the main terms of a contract or
sale and seeing it through to its conclusion and any follow up that
may be involved.
- Coordinate with chartering and operations' departments to
maximize space utilization, minimize the number of port and berth
calls and maximize the voyage's financial results.
- Coordinate all aspects of trans-shipments for respective
- Coordinating contracts of affreightment with customers to
receive nominations on time and build programs which fit vessel
- Maintain current voyage records and documentation to customers
for tonnage loading within the service.
- Assist the operations department to get an understanding of the
more technical nature of shipping.
- Maintain a thorough knowledge of all relevant charter party
forms and company standard terms.
- Check through charter parties.
- Travel as required.
Key skills and Qualifications
- Strong commercial sense.
- Ability to think on your feet.
- Client management/relationship building skills.
- Having an entrepreneurial nature would be highly desirable
along with a strong personal drive to succeed.
- Ability to negotiate is vital.
- Numeracy skills are essential.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Ability to communicate well both verbally as well as in a
- Accuracy and attention to detail is essential.
- Ability to use Microsoft office, ie Word, Excel.